COVID-19 UPDATE:  Tenant Union office will be closed to walk-in clients until further notice.  Please contact us by email at cutenantunion@gmail.com


The federal moratorium on evictions for non-payment of rent has been extended to JUNE 30, 2021 if the reason for your non-payment of rent is income loss due to COVID.  You will still owe rent and late fees.  To be protected from eviction, you must sign a declaration.  Click here for Eviction Protection Declaration or call 800-569-4287.


If you have not yet applied for rent assistance, contact the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission ccrpc.org or call 217-328-3313


Send questions to us by email at cutenantunion@gmail.com 

If you are a University of Illinois student, the Off-Campus Community Living program of the Dean of Students' office is the best place to contact.  Call 217-333-0112 or visit:



Champaign-Urbana Tenant Union is a member of Community Shares of Illinois www.cs-il.org your choice for workplace giving.



Mailing address:  C-U Tenant Union 

44 E. Main Street, Suite 208

Champaign IL  61820

C-U Tenant Union provides information about tenants' and landlords' rights and responsibilities and help for tenants living in Champaign County, Illinois who experience landlord problems or have questions.
  • Neglected property maintenance
  • Disputes about damage deposit deductions
  • Evictions
  • Unlawful discrimination
  • Roommate conflicts
  • Violation of lease by landlord
  • Information about subletting, utilities problems, parking issues and more
  • Find actual text of tenants' rights laws when you search:  765 ILCS 701-750735 ILCS 5/9-101 to 735 ILCS 5/9-301 and chapter 12.5 of Urbana City Code.

The Off-Campus and Community Living program at the University of Illinois (OCCL.illinois.eduhas a web site that provides very useful information about tenants' rights and responsibilities in Champaign-Urbana.